Something’s Coming?

People say, "something's in the air" or "something's coming" and I never knew what they meant. Except, of course, for the song from West Side Story, which said "Something's comin'; I don't know; What it is; But it is; Gonna be great" and more. And, I have to tell you, that's how I feel today. There's really no reason for me to be thinking this way: my life today is no different than my life a week or a month ago (except, of course, I was only 1 year old a month ago, and now I'm pretty much a mature 2-year old).
But, I have this (if you'll pardon the expression) cat-like sense that something's changing. I'd say it's me, but I'm pretty sure that I'm finished growing. And, I've settled into a very comfortable pattern of having my hair and nails done, so it's not like I am expecting some new 'do.
I can say that I can smell different smells when I go outside, now that there isn't any more snow for me to slip on. I love the way the soft spring breezes feel on my back as I run around the back yard as if I were on fire. And, I love the smells of the trees as the buds begin to pop open and turn my yard into a green wonderland. I also love the smells of all the little animals that I try to (unsuccessfully so far, but it's early in the year) catch as they trespass on my yard. I'm preeeeety sure that the bunnies have moved in under the shed, which makes me wonder whether there'll be a gang fight (speaking of West Side Story) between the Bunnies and the Hedgehogs (or whatever they are). I'd love to see that, if only because they'd be too distracted with each other to see me creep up (again, pardon the expression) like a cat.
So, maybe this sense of impending change is just the season changing. I mean, after all, this is only my third Spring, and - when you think about it - I was too busy learning how to take my food away from my siblings and go into my own space to eat it my first Spring. So, I didn't really see the season change until last year, which makes it all still kind of new to me. And, of course, the change in season does have the effect of just tiring me out. I mean, some times it's all I can do to get on top of the pile of laundry, of which I am the queen, so that I can look down upon all my subjects (which, at this point, is just my stuffed bear).
No food here :(
But, then again, there have been some strange goings on around this house. For instance, my mama seems to be a little distracted when I'm around. A few times I caught her calling me by a different name. And, when I (only out of curiosity, mind you) turned around, she laughed as if it was a big joke. I hope that my mama didn't forget my name. That would be sad. I mean, how would I know when she's talking to me if she didn't say "Sit, Izzi" or "Lay down, Izzi" or "Good girl, Izzi"? I know that I'm a good girl, so that one is ALWAYS about me. But, she could be telling Miriam or Evan or that other guy who lives here to sit down or lay down, and I would be very confused. Then again, maybe she's just tired from all the work that she does, including making me yummy dinners like turkey and hamburger.
(Oh, I should tell you that I have a new trick: when there's a piece of food that I plan to eat some time in the future [like maybe the next day or the next week], I have found a remarkable hiding place: the bed! I wish that my mama didn't notice that I was doing it, because I was planning to have a nice snack this afternoon, but she sussed it out, and I had to have just my dry food. Oh, well.)
So, maybe that's it. Maybe I'm thinking too much, which I often do. While I do wish that someone would recognize my beauty and charm and wit, I'm okay for being admired for my intelligence. It's a burden, but one that I bear as well as any creature that weighs less than a single volume of the OED would).
Well, who knows? Maybe I'll realize in a couple of days that my noticing changes is all in my head.
Or, maybe it isn't.
Arf, Arf, Yip, Yip
Izzi

Comments