Summer is over; Autumn is here


Izzi & Rozi: We thought that we would share with all of our loyal reader (and you know who you are) our thoughts as we head into the cooler part of the year.

Izzi: One thing that I have to say about the change in seasons is that I love the way the leaves on the trees go from a pleasant green to an explosion of colors. The maple tree that seems to be a home for that squirrel who refuses to be caught has just started its quiet change, and is now orange and yellow. Since I watch the back area of our home, protecting our family from squirrels, chipmunks, and other varmints, I have a front row seat on these changes. I love the way the world shifts subtly from one season to another.

Rozi: Fall means food. Well, so do summer and spring and winter. And, since we don't have to catch it ourselves (even though my sister has it in her head to get us a squirrel for dinner, which I think would be gamy and also tough to chew), I love the different foods that we get to eat when the weather gets cooler. Like, on Fridays, mama gets us a chicken, now that it's autumn.

Izzi: We get a chicken on Friday every Friday, it doesn't matter if it's autumn.

Rozi: Oh, I forgot. I was just thinking about the yummy chicken we have this week since it has a little bit of honey on it, and since it was Rosh Hashanah just a few days ago, I like that we have honey on our chicken. But, maybe you're right. I just love food so much that I can't really remember when we have different kinds. But, I'm pretty sure that when it's autumn we get to eat pumpkins!

Izzi: No, we don't. A pumpkin is too big and hard to eat and we never get it for breakfast or breakfast two or dinner. And, what was that remark about the squirrel for? I think that I have an excellent chance of catching one, and to tell you the truth, it would be a lot easier if I wasn't being chased by you as I was trying to catch one for us.

Rozi: Well, while you're trying to catch a squirrel, I'm trying to catch your tail. I think you're just jealous because I always catch what I'm trying to get, and you never to.

Izzi: Whatever. This is supposed to be about the change of seasons, so let's get back to that. When the weather gets cooler, I like that we get to snuggle with mama and keep her warm while she keeps us warm. This morning, I had a little nap with her because we're both tired from all the hard work that we do: her leaving the house and I think she's never coming back and then she comes back and she's tired, me from being worried that mama isn't coming back.  So, when we got a quiet moment, we took advantage of it and snuggled. I liked that!

Rozi: Yeah, I saw that and you two looked really cute together. But, I was hungry and that reminds me of something else that I like when the season changes: food. We get to eat more when it gets cooler out, because we need to add a very thin layer of extra fat to keep us warm for the upcoming winter. You know, sort of like those polar bears on the Animal Planet that we watch when no one else is at home.

Izzi: "think layer"? You're kidding, right?

Rozi: No, I'm pretty sure that I'm eating just enough extra to make sure that I stay warm this winter. What if there is a terrible snow storm and mama can't get out to get us provisions and we have to just lie around conserving our energy, and making our way to and from the food dishes?

Izzi: Ma nish tana ha laila ha zeh?

Rozi: Hunh?

Izzi: Never mind. Back to what I like about the autumn. I like that it's not so hot outside when we go for walks, but the sun is still on the porch so I can sun myself. And, I can smell the neighbor's fireplaces. Hey, I wonder if we can have a fire this year?

Rozi: Yeah, that would be cool. We can cook food on the fire and that reminds me that I don't think that I've mentioned that one of my favorite things about autumn is the food that we get to eat. When it turns to autumn, we get a chick...

Izzi: I think you've said that already.

Rozi: Maybe, but I do love eating chicken.

Izzi: You do love eating anything. Mama had to tell you to stop eating the puppy pad she just put down.

Rozi: But I was hungry.

Izzi: It was just after dinner.

Rozi: I needed fiber.

Izzi: Whatever. So, there you have it, dear reader. That's what we like abou the autumn. I like the change in seasons and the colors and the weather. Rozi likes food.

Arf, Yip, Arf, Yip
Izzi and Rozi

Comments