Bear with me

There's this theory floating around that no one is exactly unique. That we all have some "twin" or "look alike" roaming the planet. Now, that other creature may be in the deepest, darkest parts of a country that very few have heard about, or it could be someone wandering the streets of Times Square, or it could be someone in your own neighborhood. We have heard that there are even web sites that show famous people compared to ordinary people who look like them.

And, many people (of course) tell the two of us that we look alike, and that's just silly because (a) we're related and (b) they must not be looking at us from the correct angle, because from certain angles, it's pretty clear that we are similar only in that we're white (most of the time) and little. The rest...eh.

But, the reason we hounded our scribe to stop working and get these words down is that Rozi has been alerted to a possible sighting of a look-alike! And, she wanted to talk about it.

[This is just Rozi speaking; Izzi is busy trying to dig a hole in the sofa, which is both a hobby and a passion, one that she is trying to monetize so that she can visit the Shark Tank with her idea.]

So, a few days ago, on the internet, there was a video going around about a newborn in Toronto. This wasn't a puppy, like me. And, it wasn't even any kind of dog. It was - as we have been told - an Ursus Maritimus! Now, before you start to think that I must have eaten part of a dictionary and am now just using the parts that I remember before I swallowed (yes, it is true that I nibbled at the corners of a variety of reference material, but that does not mean that I looked closely at what I was eating and besides it mostly tasted like old shoes. Yummy old shoes, but still...)

So, most people who saw this video of this some-people-think-it's-cute creature, say that it's a "polar bear", and - sure - that's true.  But, we prefer the Latin term in this household, because that way it can be seen that this is not just some cute little fluffy thing; it's a member of a family that includes black bears and grizzly bears and teddy bears (and since Izzi isn't here right now, having continued her "quest for the stuffing" in the couch, I have no problems with tossing her boyfriend into the discussion, like that). And, as you probably know, bears are not always very friendly, the exceptions being Yogi Bear, Fozzi Bear, and Coor Lite Bear, which I think is nice but smells funny.

But, these videos have been followed by photographs, and there are some people who have commented that this, this, this bear (of all things) looks like me! I really don't see the resemblance, but it struck me that what was being sent was a photograph of the bear as a little bear (some day it will be big and terrorize parts of the Northwest Territory...I just know it), and so maybe a better comparison would be pictures of this compared to pictures of me. So, I demanded that our servant go into the attic, into one of the dozens of boxes that have pictures of me and my sister (currently still unsuccessful in her quest to create a hole-like structure in the cushion) and pull out some of me when I was just a little thing.

And, so, here are the pictures:


That thing Me. When I was a little thing…



Hmmmm. I can see why people have said what they did. There is the slightest resemblance, but I have to say that even though I am the slightest bit biased, I was much cuter than that Ursa whatever will ever be, and that I'm only slightly more cute in those pictures than I am right now. I suppose that cuteness never fades, huh?

And, so, there you have it. Do you think that I look like that one-day-will-attack-a-defenseless igloo thing? Or, do you think there's enough of a difference, by which I mean that I am light years cuter than the meat-eating, future 800-pound swimmer, who probably can't jump onto the couch in eight tries like I can.

Okay, Izzi is back, all shagged out from her exercise, and now we both think that it's time to take a nap.

Arf, Yip, Arf, Arf
Izzi & Rozi

Comments